Amazon Holiday Deals

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Truth Shall Set You Free

Golgotha Crucifix, designed by Paul Nagel, Chu...Image via Wikipedia

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
-- John 8:31-32
----------

Since last year, I was already eyeing many of the dSLR cameras on display, and I would sometimes pass by the electrical shop on my way home to spend a couple of minutes getting a close look, asking a question or two, a hands-on, a familiarization of the units, a hold, a touch, a feel - something that would help me make the pick.

When I'm in the office and I happen to sneak in some free time, I would browse the web to see specs, ads, brochures, and reviews. A month or two, and I arrived at a conclusion. So I bought my unit. And since I don't have that instant money, being an ordinary man that I am, I was glad that my request to a gracious bank to have my credit limit reviewed and increased was approved. That gave me the financial support to make the purchase on a 0% interest-free installment plan.

The manual was thick. And even when I was able to read through from cover to cover, that didn't make me an expert on my camera immediately. The thing is, while I was doing my online surfing for any information to help me and assist me, I was also picking up some books from the library, and buying also some books on sale - all about photography and dSLRs.

But then again, even after amassing (sounds like it's a ton already, not yet) a handful of useful information, that still didn't make me an expert photographer, not the least the skilful use of my camera.

What is the point of all that I am saying?

The truth shall set you free.

Well, knowing the truth is one thing. Living out and practicing the truth is another. In fact, it is the latter that is of more importance, more weight. We usually know something by reading about it, or by hearing about it. But to live out something from a very young age without even knowing what it is called, is a very different contrast of the same light.

Those who live by the law, though they don't have the Law that is the meaning of it. We may be practicing codes and precepts without necessarily calling these codes and precepts, and we pass them on to our descendants, as our ascendants passed them down to us. Thus, we assure the continuity of the practice of these "codes and precepts", even if we don't teach them as such.

Back to the camera, and to the truth.

All of the authors insisted on one thing, one very important thing: start shooting, start taking photographs. That is the only way that you will become a photographer instead of simply taking pictures. Then and only then will your photographs be a distinct, remarkable work of photographic art.

How does it relate altogether now?

The camera manual tells of the many buttons and dials and switches, and the many responses and activities that happen with each twitch and turn. As the photographer, you will learn the skills and acquire the knowledge as time passes, and the time will come that you will have already attained the necessary skill and techniques to be able to immediately decide what setting to use - and why.

That simply tells that to become a good photographer, you will have to move from reading the manual, knowing the manual, but knowing the camera itself, so that you will be able to make full use of the camera's potential. This will make way to your becoming the best photographer that you can be.

As with people, our manual is the Bible, and it tells of the many buttons and dials and switches that makes us humans, and how best we can live our lives. Therefore, our Maker did not intend for the Bible to be simple read, but to be lived out. How else would you be a skilful craftsman, but to be practicing and excelling in your trade? In the same way, how would God make us become the best man or woman of faith? By turning our knobs of attention to make us focus on others. To switch our internal interests to the interests of others. To decrease or exposure to worldly things. To open up our aperture to let in more of His light. To adjust our shutter speed as he deem fit, and lowering down our ISO sensitivity when we have to remain open to His many workings, capturing them in our mental picture on one single block. These are some, and just to name a few.

Just like me, a starting photographer, I will have to start tinkling with the many settings that can be achieved with the dials, buttons and switches, that I may know when to use them best.

As for God, He has to start making us "practice" our many characteristics and traits, and the Christlike character that He gave us when we became part of His family, that we may be 'free' to them, to the best, when the opportune time comes.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: