Amazon Holiday Deals

Monday, April 6, 2009

Help ourselves: Fight ageism

I don't want to take the words out of this man's mouth; he has expressed what I wanted to say myself.

Read on...



-----


Letter from Charles Lee

LIKE Mr Allan Pek in “Over 40, under-valued” (March 30) I have encountered ageism many times since my return to Singapore in 1997 from the United States.

I am surprised to find this outdated and in some societies, illegal, practice in Singapore. Until there is regulation against such unjustified discrimination, we need to help ourselves and fight this treatment.

Discrimination can go two ways. We can make our stand. I will start to patronise establishments with good hiring practises, and not those that I sense or know to be ageist in practice.

I have deemed many firms unworthy of my contribution, due to their lack of respect for themselves. Many younger managers have thwarted my career chances because they were not mature nor competent enough to manage people. Their departments are only as good as they are and cannot develop beyond their capabilities. These firms are short changing themselves.


From TODAY, Voices
Monday, 06-April-2009

0 comments: